Park Use Permits and Ecological Reserve Permits

By legislation, a permit is required for many types of commercial use, land use/land occupancy, and research activities (see specific activities below) that take place in parks and protected areas designated under the Park Act, the Environment and Land Use Act or the Protected Areas of British Columbia Act.

A permit is required for ecological scientific research and/or educational purposes in ecological reserves established under the Ecological Reserve Act or the Protected Areas of British Columbia Act.


What Activities require a Park Use Permit?

Park use permits are different from the permits you may need for front-country camping, moorage, etc. in most parks. For information on permits and fees for camping and visiting parks, including campsite reservations, please see the section on our website about ‘Visiting Parks.’

Uses and activities that will require a permit on lands classified as park, protected area or conservancy are:
  1. Providing commercial recreation services, such as guiding, concessions, rentals, etc. where a fee is charged to the public in exchange for a service. This would include summer or winter activities e.g. guiding hikes, guided camping, providing cross-country skiing, scuba diving instruction, guided kayak/canoe touring, big game guiding, angling guiding, or any other activity where goods or services are being provided to the public for some form of compensation. If the service being provided is one that requires a camping or moorage permit you will still be required to acquire and pay for those permits in addition to the park use permit required for commercial services.
  2. Film production;
  3. Land use/occupancy for commercial, non-commercial, industrial and/or existing residential purposes.
  4. Research activities: collection; monitoring; survey and inventory; and, other research.
Uses and activities that will require a permit on lands classified as Ecological Reserves:
  1. Ecological scientific research; and,
  2. Educational purposes.

How do I apply for a Permit?

For information about permit applications or the permitting process, visit the Front Counter BC website.

If you are uncertain as to whether you require a Park Use Permit for an activity, or for general inquiries about Park Use Permits, please contact FrontCounter BC.

Permit Processing

Adjudication of a Park Use Permit application or Ecological Reserve permit application may take up to 140 days.

A permit authorizes an individual, group, or organization to carry out a specific activity and outlines the specific conditions under which the proposed activity may occur.

Permit applications are subject to review under the BC Parks Impact Assessment Process.

The permitted authorization process helps ensure the preservation and maintenance of B.C's protected areas and the recreational and other opportunities they provide.

Permit Policies

Permit Policy for Commercial Filming [PDF] (Feb. 1, 2020) Permit Expiration [PDF] (Aug. 27, 2018)
Permit Insurance Requirements [PDF] (Jan. 16, 2017) Permit Fees [PDF] (June 28, 2011)
Permit Application [PDF] (Jan. 16, 2017) Permit Term Length [PDF] (July 22, 2015)
Permit Cancellation [PDF] (June 28, 2011) Research Permit Policy [PDF] (Aug. 5, 2015)
Ecological Reserve Permits [PDF] (Aug. 29, 2012)  

Park Use Permittee Self-Assessment Report

There are a number of park use permits throughout British Columbia’s protected areas system allowing for commercial activities within parks, many of which are granted to operators who provide guided adventure tourism services. These operators may provide, at their option, a Self-Assessment Report [PDF] evaluating their contributions to stewardship within parks.  The intent of the Self-Assessment Report is to allow operators an opportunity to describe in writing how they have demonstrated leadership and commitment to maintaining the conservation and recreation values and objectives of the park(s) or protected area(s) in which they operate.

Such reports will be made available for public comment for 30 days from the time of posting. Results of the reports and any public comments received will be used when adjudicating the permit held by the operator.

Reports Currently Open for Public Comment

There are no reports open for public comment at this time.      

BC Parks – Regional Office Contact List:

Ministry of Environment – BC Parks


South Coast Region
200 – 10470 – 152nd Street
Surrey BC V3R 0Y3
Phone No.: 604-582-5200
Fax No.: 604-930-7119
West Coast Region
2080-A Labieux Road
Nanaimo BC V9T 6J9
Phone No.: 250-751-3100
Fax No.: 250-751-3103
Thompson Cariboo Region – Thompson
1259 Dalhousie Drive
Kamloops BC V2C 5Z5
Phone No.: 250-371-6200
Fax No.: 250-828-4000
Thompson Cariboo Region – Cariboo
400 – 640 Borland Street
Williams Lake BC V2G 4T1
Phone No.: 250-398-4530
Fax No.: 250-398-4214
Kootenay Okanagan Region – Kootenay
205 Industrial Road G
Cranbrook BC V1C 7G5
Phone No.: 250-489-8540
Fax No.: 250-489-8506
Kootenay Okanagan Region – Okanagan
102 Industrial Place
Penticton BC V2A 7C8
Phone No.: 250-490-8200
Fax No.: 250-490-2231
Northern Region – Skeena
3726 Alfred Avenue
Smithers BC V0J 2N0
Phone No.: 250-847-7260
Fax No.:250-847-7728
Northern Region – Omineca
4051-18th Avenue
Prince George BC V2N 1B3
Phone No.: 250-614-9911
Fax No.: 250-565-6940
Northern Region – Peace
400, 10003 – 110th Avenue
Fort St. John BC V1J 6M7
Phone No.: 250-787-3411
Fax No.: 250-787-3490